Sunday, May 1, 2011

Knit knit purl, or, the journey is not over

When I was 12 my great aunt taught me to knit. I was only there for a short visit, so it was not an extensive lesson. But I got along for 11 years with just the garter stitch, which is what you get if you knit every row. I became proficient in making things like scarves and squares, which I sewed together to become blankets. Just a few weeks ago, I finally learned to purl. For the uninitiated, a purl stitch is kind of like a knit stitch backward. Combining knit and purl stitches allows you to make different patterns. The knit stitch has worked for me for over a decade, but now I am learning new tricks left and right. Yesterday, I knit a little hat for a friend of mine who is having a baby. For the first time, I knit in the round, and on double pointed needles. I made I-cord and I decreased stitches. I felt like the knitting world could no longer hide its secrets.
Later on Saturday, right after I had my fourth orgasm ever, I realized that my mastering of knitting was a good metaphor for my journey of exploring my sexuality. My right foot feeling hot, my eyes watering, ejaculating and, finally, orgasm-ing. These are all new tricks my body has learned.
As with knitting, there is still more to learn and master. I did buy a 12-pack of batteries last night, but by no means does that indicate that I will only be satisfied with battery-powered orgasms. I want to orgasm by the hand, by the tongue, and during intercourse. I want to have them by myself and with my fiance. I want him to share in the manic joy I have felt since Thursday. I am still on this journey, but I have definitely turned a corner. As I knit more hats and practice orgasms I will continue to learn and be amazed by what my body and I can achieve. And I will keep you updated along the way.

2 comments:

  1. A young woman once had the privelege of hearing Bruno Bettelheim speak to her psychology class. He noticed her knitting in class, walked over to her chair, and said loudly so the entire auditorium could hear, "knitting is a form of masturbation, you know."
    The young woman paused in her stitches looked up at him and said, "When I knit, I knit, and when I masturbate, I MASTURBATE!"

    ReplyDelete