Thursday, September 30, 2010

to do lists are fun

Hopefully my copy of Sex for One will show up in the next few hours. FedEx says its out on delivery. The author, Betty Dodson, I'm told, is the grandmother of masturbation. My sexologist says she's in her eighties, looks like she's in her fifties, and has a boyfriend in his thirties. Sounds like the woman to learn from. Apparently the book has "wonderful" illustrations of vulvas, which I'm hoping will help me draw my own. I went to check that situation out today and had no idea where to start.
The sex log is coming along well. I have finished writing about Tuesday night's activities and am working on writing about Wednesday night's activities. In session, I leave things out that I don't think matter. Writing the log, I don't feel like I can do that. Yup, this is exactly what sex between us is like. During my first session, a week and a half ago, I was amazed at how easy it was to talk about sex. She just worked me up to it, and there I was. It was like "hey! did i just say clitoris? yup. there it went. oh look i did it again. huh." The sex log is a little different. I feel pretty self conscious thinking about her reading it.
But it is comforting to think of how nonjudgemental she is. On the back of her business card is an awesome quote: "I am a sexologist and that means I've given my life to the scientific study of organized information about sex. Just as I wouldn't judge daises over roses if I were a botanist, I don't judge sexual behaviors." Janice Epp, PhD
(fyi Janice Epp is not my sexologist. she's a kind of famous one that practices in Paolo Alto CA)(i do not live in CA)

2 comments:

  1. what sort of phd does one get for that sort of work? psychology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Doctor of Human Sexuality, or DHS. There's Advanced Insitute for the Study of Human Sexuality in San Fransisco, and they seem to specilize in that degree. She got her BA in pysch though.

    ReplyDelete